Pocock thanks authorities for 3-week ban

In spite of being banned for putting another rugby player in a sleeper hold during a recent game, David Pocock, the rugby union star, has thanked the governing bodies of the game for their hard line stance to such incidents.

Video from previous Saturday's Super Rugby match between New Zealand's Chiefs and Pocock's Brumbies in Canberra shows David putting Chiefs No 8 Michael Leitch in the unsafe bind.

In video of the moment, Michael appears to attempt to 'tap out' of David’s hold by hitting him on the back many times during a rolling mangle in the seventy-forth minute of the game - but to no avail.

David told that he was happy that the World Rugby and SANZAAR are concerned about making this sport for all of them after being handed down a 3 week ban and apologizing profusely for his in-field actions.

The punishment meted out was watched closely by the Six Nations organising committee, with some similar actions having taken place last year. Whilst they recognised that fans wanted to see the best players out on the pitch (especially because tickets are so expensive) a line needs to be drawn on discipline. Tickets for this year's Six Nations are available through this link.

Pocock, who is usually a clean player, took to many platforms to issue a earnest apology for this actions, including on his website, Twitter and Facebook profiles. He stated that he was very much disappointed with his actions.

He said on Facebook: 'I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again to Michael Leitch. And to apologise to the Chiefs, Brumbies and all those who follow rugby. I'd also like to apologise to my team mates who I will let down over the next few weeks while suspended.'

After the incident, Leitch needed immediate medical assistance. Pocock faced a Super Rugby judicatory on Tuesday for the very 1st time in his career and declared guilty to breaching 'playing a player without the ball is dangerous play' and was later handed a ban.